Sunday, August 14, 2005

Swiss Army Bicycle Tires, Part 2


[The front brake of an MO 05 Condor, a design dating from the advent of the advent of the pneumatic tire]

Sometime back in May, James wrote:
"Do you have a MO 05? The company in arkansas that sells swiss army vehicles has spare tyres listed on their website. A while back I was obsessed with that bike and found a few sources for parts, unfortunately I would have had to have called the shops and I can't understand swiss german."


Sadly, no, I do not have an MO 05, I merely covet one. I decided that if I were to use one for everyday bicycling, I'd have to replace the wheels with some modern size that would fit (perhaps 26"). The tires are available from Swiss Army Vehicles, but they cost $73.33 a piece (!), and don't appear to have any of the advantages of modern touring tires costing a third as much, such as Kevlar-belted Paselas. I thought also of building up 26" wheels around the bicycle's original hubs (the rear hub, as I understand, contains a drum brake), but this started to seem like a lot of work...Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger ek said...

Hello. Great blog. I was searching around for Militarvelo pics as well. I own a few here in Washington, DC, in addition to other vintage bicycles. They're awesome, but not really made for hills unless you've got monster ankles. Still, no lightweight fixies for me; can't ride one of those in a suit. Not easily anyway.

May 01, 2007 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here