Saturday, February 19, 2005

Downtown Picture

I took this picture two weeks ago, a few days after a snowstorm. The photo looks downhill, towards the Powow river (not visible behind the buildings). An organic bakery with passable corn muffins is right behind the bank building on the left. The chimney in the background protrudes from an old carriage factory, which now contains offices and a charter school.

The train used to pull into a station behind the grey building in the center of the photo; the former tracks are now a paved bicycle path. What is striking about old photos of the town is how bare the landscape was - very few trees were left standing in the vicinity of the town, whereas now the countryside seems to be "greening up" again. Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin, I'm delighted to see you updating your blog again. Just like George Orwell, you write thoughtfully on such a wide range of subjects that it's as interesting to see what topic pops up next as to read the text itself. I have always thought you are one of the people for whom the blog was invented. . . thanks for your posts!

Strangely, my results on the colorblindness tests are identical to yours. Here's another interesting battery of tests: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/.

February 21, 2005 7:15 AM  
Blogger JustinH said...

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for your post and compliment. So, I guess we will both make good snipers?

I took one of the IAT tests you linked to:

"Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for White People relative to Black People"

I expected to fail, because I did the "white people are good" section second, when I was getting used to the game, so I assumed I was going to score higher on it. Interesting link. It deserves a blog entry of its own...

February 27, 2005 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here